Wednesday, November 28, 2007

#16 Podcasts Smodcasts

Somehow I just didn't seem to get Yahoo Podcasts. Firstly, the link to the so-called Tutorial just dropped me into the Yahoo Search page - no link to a tutorial. I duly "searched" and linked to Yahoo's Help pages for podcasts but will never know if these were what was intended - they were mildly helpful. When it came to checking out the various podcast directories the Yahoo Podcasts link just dropped me into the Yahoo Search page again. I tried some video and audio searches but they got me nowhere - just ended up on web pages. So,in a fit of pique I gave up and tried podcast.net and podcastalley.com with happier results. I subscribed to a couple of Irish music (radio programs) RSS feeds via Podcastalley for fun and on a more serious note subscribed to Writers on Writing via podcast.net (problem is, I haven't heard of many of the writers listed - however there is a discussion between Hazel Rowley and Adam Braver which I'll have a listen to when I get a minute). I do have reservations about the quality of content of much of the material on these listings. I'm sure the good stuff is there but you have to work pretty hard to sift it out.

Checked out the SLV's list of podcasts - of course I've looked at these before but the list is growing into quite a respectable number now. Wonder if tutorial or introduction to the Library type things could be included here, especially if we encompass video in the future.

Had a quick look at World EBook Fair and Librivox - interesting but look to be in the early stages?

Finally, had a listen to Helen Blower's podcast on the original Learning 2.0 program - would have been good to had this first up i.e. right at the beginning of the program for inspiration and encouragement. It was interesting to hear about the responses of those Learning pioneers in their blogs.

No comments: